Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BackStory re: Dancing Toward...

How this began:
I asked for something of my friends in November 2009. Here's what I said (& still mean):

There is a dance workshop that’s near and dear to my heart&soul happening in LA at the S Factor studio. It’s a plunge deeper into self-discovery and a view into whether being a part of the world of dance therapy might be the next move in my life. It’s going to take a bit of magic to get there.

The reason I feel the urgency to do this now: Everyday I am reminded that the way we move toward each other in the world is a form of therapy...one that is healing, messy, shocking, necessary. A subtle dance that draws in the world or keeps it at a distance, and so often there's no notice of how we leave traces of ourselves on each other. I want to expand beyond the trace and investigate the indelible mark. Specifically, to have the opportunity to go further in sharing a form of dance that I believe inspires women to mark the world around them in an awesome way, while inspiring men to be the fabulous creatures they are as they celebrate a woman living from her strength. As that ripples out, there's just no way this world won't become a better dance floor to twirl on. To have the opportunity to be a part of that movement through educating myself in what it would take to bring this to people is the dream I'm dancing toward. One step, I think, is in LA.

Dancing Toward a Dream (update):

Where to begin?
To say, I'm grateful. (This is beyond the valley of true.)
To mention that this experiment in asking is a trip alternately terrifying and rewarding? (Hell, yeah.)
To recognize things do move in mysterious ways? (Hum along.)

So now it’s begun, and with your help there is a growing foundation (both heartfelt and financial) from which I can Dance closer to that Dream. Thank you beyond words for that!

The update is this: Due to those mysterious ways (mentioned above), the workshop I’m attending will be happening later in the year during the season of longer days and slightly balmier weather. The Smarty Pig will stay open for receiving for an extended run, the $ goal cut in half and my sense of passion and urgency still intact to keep this Dream Dancing. To be exact: whatever funds raised will go toward workshop/classes, one of the important being the intensive in LA. Through this blog I'll keep you updated (and maybe entertained) regarding all movement in that direction, along with other ramblings, photos and effluvia related to this thing we call dance.

Thank you, again!

SmartyPig link below (you can read & feel secure about this site as FDIC insured), click on the Find Friends tab (unless you're already there) and type in the e-mail address (NOTE: this is a new e-mail address): DancingTowardDream@gmail.com

https://www.smartypig.com/friends-goals



"Seek beauty. Show mutability. Move like a blaze of consciousness. Perfection is the devil. Express the eroticism of gravity."--Karole Armitage,

No comments:

Post a Comment